While traditionalists will claim that distilled spirits are the only type of drink that can warm you, we beg to differ. In fact, we are firm believers in the “warming” value of ciders and beers. Here are eight of our favorites that prove the point:
- Maredsous Tripel – Brewed by Benedictine monks in Belgium, this light amber brew with a very foamy head sports a 10% alcohol content that is well hidden by its rich caramel taste and somewhat banana-like overtones. It is also guaranteed to warm your insides faster than a glass of Chardonnay or Burgundy.
- Flatbed Cider – Made from the most flavorful apples in the world, Flatbed Cider combines a bright splash of initial flavor with a warm and glowing finish. In addition, this cider is produced with a true “green” sensibility as the apples are grown, fermented and bottled on the same local farm.
- Coedo Brewery – Manufactured on the other side of the globe in a town just north of Tokyo, this beer is brewed as an American-style pale lager. Still, it has its differences – most notably that it opens with a nice citrus bite followed by sweet maltiness and ends with a bitter finish. All in all, a great way to experience the warming sensations of springtime while enduring the cold of winter.
- Rhubarbarian – Through one of the largest makers of hard cider in the Pacific Northwest, the artisan craft brewery known as 2 Towns is one of the most respected by aficionados because of its avid use of fruits other than apples such as pears and rhubarb in their ciders. This particular cider is not for the faint of heart and will put some rosiness in your cheeks.
- Chimay Premiere– Another monkish brew – this time from Trappist ones – This Chimay “red” is well regarded. It offers a dark-brown colored beer with a very strong flavor reminiscent of raisins, prunes and dates. It is quite filling as well as fortifying and will get you through a tailgate party better than any cup of cocoa.
- Blackthorn Cider – With its distinctive but decidedly bittersweet flavor, Blackthorn Cider provides a medium-bodied character through a synergistic combination of low acidity and high tannins. It will leave you intrigued by its flavor that you will barely notice the cocoa.
For further information on these and other artisan ciders, craft beers and non-alcoholic beverages, visit us at Columbia Distributing. We can be found online at ColDist.com or reached directly at 800-949-5997 to make a beverage order.